1. IT篇：break down
水逆期間，如果不幸發生電腦或是電子產品故障的話，可用 break down來形容，這也能用來表示車子拋錨。
My ___broke down.
由於描述狀況的時候事情已經發生了，所以我們慣用過去式來表達。空格中可以填上任何物品，如 computer, cell phone, tablet, car, photocopier 等， 多益考聽力部分常出現影印機壞掉的情境，說話者便會使用這個片語。
breakable為形容詞，意思是「易碎的」，在機場裡常用來表達託運行李中的物品，如What’s in the package is easily breakable, so please handle with care.（這包裹裡面的物品極為易碎的，麻煩請小心處理。）若breakable用來形容人的話，表示「個性脆弱的」意思。
在breakable前加上un-即「unbreakble」，表達否定的意思表達否定的意思，就是不易碎的、堅固的、牢不可破的，如They are famous for their unbreakable glass used to make vases and windows.（他們以牢不可破的玻璃聞名，用在製作花瓶或窗戶等物品上。）unbreakable用在形容人的話，則為堅強的意思。
W: Oh, I can’t believe it’s happening again.
M: What’s the matter?
W: The photocopier broke down again, and it’s already the second time this month.
M: I thought the repairperson had it fixed just two weeks ago.
W: Yeah, he did. But he also said replacing the part is only a temporary fix, the permanent solution is to get a new one, considering how old this one is.
M: Well, that’s going to be a problem since our budget for office suppliers has been cut down by 10%.
1. What seems to the problem?
2. What happened two weeks ago?
3. What did the repairperson suggest?
4. Why can’t the office purchase a new photocopier?
1. The photocopier is not working.
2. They had the photocopier repaired two weeks ago.
3. He suggested they buy a new machine because this one is getting too worn out.
4. They don’t have enough fund to get a new one because of budget cut.
2. 合約篇：renew the contract
在職場中經常會談論到更新合約、續約的問題，這時英文的表達便是用 renew 這個動詞。由字首來看，我們知道re-為again或back的意思，new是新的意思，因此這個單字為「使它更新」，當談到合約的時候，可想而知就是要表達續約。
If there is any question regarding the product, please feel free to contact me.
I will be in contact when we have the final decision regarding the contract.
W: Hey, Carl, how was the meeting? I missed it because I was out of town.
M: Oh, did Sarah send you to a client’s? Well, after thorough assessment, we will renew our contract with Darton Power.
W: Yeah, I was meeting with Mr. Yamish to talk about next year’s plan. That’s good news. They offer the best price, I believe.
M: Also, they have been quite satisfactory, meeting all our requirements.
W: No doubt. I really don’t think there is other choice.
M: Yeah, I agree. Besides, they are offering a 5% discount for the second year.
1. Why was the woman absent for the meeting?
2. What will happen to the contract with Darton Power?
3. Why do the speakers think Darton Power is a good choice?
4. What is Darton Power offering them?
1. She was meeting with a client to talk about next year’s plan.
2. They will renew the contract with Darton Power for the second year.
3. It has the best price and provides satisfying service.
4. It is giving them a 5% discount for the second year contract.
W: I heard that the award ceremony was wonderful.
M: Yeah, John broke down when he received The Employee of the Year.
Question: What does the man mean?
A. John’s award was broken.
B. John got emotional when he received the award.
C. John’s car broke down on his way to the ceremony.
W: Unfortunately, the contract is nonrenewable.
M: I guess we will have to go through the whole process again.
Question: What does the woman imply about the contract?
A. It will be renewed under some conditions.
B. It will not end until someone ends it.
C. It will end and will not be renewed.
1. 正確答案B，break down作為形容人的時候表示情緒激動。